Coronavirus, otherwise known as Covid-19 is behind mass deaths in Kano, national coordinator of the presidential task force on COVID-19, Sani Gwarzo has said.
It could be recalled that Kano state has recorded an unusual increase in deaths since it recorded its first coronavirus case in April.
Speaking with reporters in Kano on Sunday, Gwarzo, who also lost his father during the period that Kano recorded a high number of deaths, said investigation had shown that COVID-19 is responsible for some of the deaths.
“Let me inform us that most of the deaths recorded of recent and test carried out showed that coronavirus was the cause,” he said.
“So, before the final report which would be ready in the next one week or few days, it is necessary for people of Kano to wake up from their slumber that this is a serious issue.
“We need to know what is happening we are successful in identifying what the problems are and secondly we are happy on the level of cooperation the private sector and other stake holders. Many people have come out to support the state we cannot expand our investigation until we are certain.
“We have five cogent reasons to say that the mass death recorded in Kano is associated with coronavirus.”
He listed them as the age of the deceased persons, concentration of the people in one place and “test we have constructed which have element of COVID-19”.
Before Gwarzo’s revelation, Kano state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje had earlier denied that the deaths were linked to COVID-19, saying investigation was ongoing.
He also announced that after consultation with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the government had agreed on “verbal autopsy” to ascertain the cause of the deaths.
At it stands, there are 313 COVID-19 cases in Kano which has the second highest number of coronavirus patients in Nigeria.